Public speaking does not have to be overwhelming or scary!
With the help of Drama Kids International, children of all ages can improve their public speaking and communication skills, while also increasing self-confidence through drama activities.
Why Public Speaking Skills Are Important for Kids
Public speaking will always play a vital role in helping children develop much-needed life skills. These skills can include:
- Communication skills
- Critical thinking
- Active listening
- Presenting thoughts in a clear and confident manner
Confidence and public speaking are closely related. The more comfortable children become with public speaking, the more dramatic improvements there will be in self-confidence. These skills and high levels of confidence directly impact how capable they will be when facing challenges in the future.
Some Practical Public Speaking Tips
There are many ways for children to improve their public speaking skills.
Here are our top 10 favorite public speaking tips for kids:
- Make sure the topic is something you are passionate about.
- Try not to read the entire speech from a paper. Try to memorize it.
- Do have a cheat sheet/notes to help you stick to the key points.
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Being nervous is normal. Practice some relaxation techniques or breathing to calm your nervous system.
- Come up with your own public speaking style. Make it fun for you as the speaker and your audience will have fun too.
- Avoid filler words like “basically,” “well” and “um.” Say your speech with confidence.
- Use your voice: tone, volume, and speaking speed.
- Never underestimate the power of laughter. Add in a joke or two.
- Remember that no presentation will be perfect and don’t sweat the small mistakes.
Drama Kids International teaches children of all ages the skills above to help improve their public speaking skills and more! Click HERE to learn more about what our programs can offer your child?